Saturday, September 22, 2012

Homemade Hot Sauce

Locations of Site Visitors
     I'm harvesting hot peppers now.  I have cherry peppers, jalapenos, and chili peppers.  Wonderful!  I'm drying some in the oven, since I don't have a dehydrator (are you listening, Santa?), stringing some up to hang over my kitchen sink in the window, and freezing some minced in olive oil (I freeze them in ice cube trays - I wonder if my ice cubes will taste spicy now?).  I'm also using up several in making V-8 juice with my cherry and roma tomatoes.

Mollie and Eli love hot sauce.  Maybe I'll give them each some for Christmas.
I'm also pondering what to give Don Wenner, as I have his name in the Putzig family drawing.  Maybe something for his grill, like spices or scented woods?  Do they grill in New Mexico in the winter?
I'll keep thinking about this.


Hot Sauce Made from Dried Peppers
Ingredients:
5 large or about 12 small dried peppers
apple cider vinegar
sea salt
water


Instructions

    • 1
      Heat your dried peppers over a high flame.
      Open the pepper, and discard the stem and seeds. Heat your peppers in a hot cast iron skillet or other heavy metal frying pan over a high flame. You don't want to roast the pepper, just warm it a little. The heat will soften the pepper's tissue.
    • 2
      A blender will make a smooth hot sauce from your dried peppers.
      Toss the hot dried peppers into your blender, and add 1 cup of hot water. You can use any combination of dried peppers, depending on your taste. Plan on using about five large or 12 small dried peppers per cup of water. Add 1 tsp. of sea salt and 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar.
    • 3
      Let the peppers blend for three to four minutes.
      Cover and turn on the blender. Keep it at a medium speed for three to four minutes or until the the peppers are well-blended. The liquid should be a smooth red consistency that will coat the back of a spoon. It should have a strong pepper smell along with a trace of vinegar.
    • 4
      Your hot sauce will be perfect for spicy tacos.
      Pour the hot sauce into a bottle sterilized with boiling water. Cap and place in the refrigerator. Don't use it while the flavor develops during the following week. It will continue to ripen as it ages. Use it on tacos, enchiladas, fried eggs or any other food.

No comments:

Post a Comment