Sunday, January 22, 2012

Souper Soup

Locations of Site Visitors
This is another recipe we've made for a very long time.  The kids love it, and we make it at least twice a month.  It's especially good after turkey or roast chicken.
Turkey or chicken carcass/bones
chopped onion
chopped celery
poultry seasoning
salt and pepper
water to cover
Boil above to make stock for at least a couple of hours, or use canned chicken stock or water and a bouillon cube.  Strain stock and use or freeze.
Use liquid from above to make rice:
twice as much liquid as you are using of rice.  I generally go with 6 cups stock and 3 cups rice.
When rice is done, add 1 large can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, bits of chicken if you have them.  You may also add finely chopped celery, and Adobo seasoning to taste.  Put cover back on pot until ready to serve so it stays hot.  The rice will heat the soup.
Bart discovered a recipe similar to this on a can of soup that called for instant rice, and he made it often in college.  We decided later on that we preferred it with regular rice.  We often tweak the recipe depending on the ingredients we have on hand.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. the 'cream of' soups are thinner in England so I was making this, admittedly with fewer ingredients and water not stock, and I tried adding some corn starch to thicken it. The first time I added too little and the second time too much and made a weird goopy paste, I put ketchup on it and pretended it wasn't so bad. I haven't really worked with corn starch before so I don't think I'm very good at anticipating how much I'll need yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good old ketchup. Are you eating any quesadillas over there? What about eggs? nice cheap food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't yet cause cheese isn't that cheap and I don't have a cheese grater, potatoes and rice and such are cheaper than eggs so I haven't gotten eggs yet, I keep meaning to though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allen has made this for me, it is SO good!xx

    ReplyDelete