Thursday, July 9, 2020

Potato Bread

This recipe comes from Taste of Home, but it was designed for a bread machine, and I don't have one (don't want one).  So I am still experimenting with the temp and time to cook it.  I had good luck with 375 for 35 minutes the first time, but it was just baked enough so I'm going to try 40 minutes today.

It just happens to be vegan.  I saw a lot of recipes online that called for boiling a potato first, or for milk and butter in the recipe.

1 1/4 cup warm water (70-80 d)
1/2 T yeast
3 Tbl vegetable oil
2 1/2 T sugar
1 tsp salt
2 Tbl instant mashed potato
3 cups bread flour

Mix water and sugar.  Add yeast and let rest 5 minutes to make sure the yeast is active.  Add oil, potato flakes and 1 cup flour.  Mix until well combined.  Add the rest of the flour and the salt, and continue mixing/kneading for about 5 minutes.

Cover in greased bowl and let rest 1 hour.
Put in greased bread pan, cover, and let rise 45 minutes.  Make sure you grease the pan all the way to the rim, or it will stick at the rim and then what good is it that it doesn't stick down in the bottom?  You have to rip the sides off to get it out.  Then it will get stale faster.
Heat oven to 375.  Bake about 35-40 minutes.
,
I bought cloth bread bags, and use them until we cut open the loaf.  Then Bart prefers we keep it in a ziplock bag so it doesn't get stale.

Today I'm making a double recipe so we can have cinnamon rolls too.  I'll post pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment