Monday, February 20, 2012

Chicken Fried Venison

Locations of Site Visitors
I have made this for the family and for company many, many times.  It's great for using less tender cuts of meat.  I always serve it with mashed potatoes and gravy.
1 cup flour
1 Tbl Adobo - or spices of your preference, like salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, etc.
1 egg
2 Tbl water
1/4 c. oil
2 cups milk
6-8 thinly sliced venison (or pork, beef, etc.)steaks, pounded to tenderize.  I do this with a wooden mallet that's designed for tenderizing meat, and I bring the mallet, meat, and chopping board out on the deck so I don't splatter meat bits all over my kitchen.  I also wear an apron.  Just saying.
Put all dry ingredients in a ziplock bag.
Beat eggs and water into a shallow bowl.
Dip meat into dry ingredients, then into egg/water bath, then back into dry ingredients, and fry in oil until cooked.  It's okay for the meat to still be a little pink.
After all meat is fried, mix milk and 1/4 cup of the flour mixture from the ziplock bag together with a whisk, and pour into frying pan.  Bring to boil, stirring constantly.  Boil and stir until thickened.  If there is no oil left in the pan at this point, you may want to add a bit of butter before making the gravy.
My favorite accompaniments to this meal are steamed green beans, peas or corn, and homemade applesauce.  Rolls are overkill on carbs, but greatly appreciated by the crowd.  

1 comment:

  1. I made this last night for Bart, Irene and Eli. I marinated the steaks in Montreal Seasoning mix, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Then I tenderized it (on the deck, of course). I didn't have milk, so I used fat free half and half, and it clung to the meat better than regular milk - very nice. Instead of flour, I used Panko bread crumbs, and loved that too. I still added Adobo. Wonderful dinner with mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli, and gravy.

    ReplyDelete